LibFreenect - Open Source PC/MacOSX/Linux Drivers for Kinect Date: Friday, November 12 @ 22:31:09 UTC Topic: Xbox 360
Marcan has released the first Open Source Drivers for Kinect. MacOSX and Linux drivers have also been released.
Horribly hacky first take at a Kinect Camera driver. Does RGB and Depth.
main.c implements a simple OpenGL visualization. Hopefully it should be mostly self-explanatory... You pretty much just open the USB device, call cams_init(dev, depthimg, rgbimg), and your depthimg and rgbimg callbacks getcalled as libusb processes events.
- TONS of cleanup. I mean LOTS.
- Proper buildsystem (CMake probably)
- Determine exactly what the inits do
- Bayer to RGB conversion that doesn't suck
- Integrate support for the servo and accelerometer (which have already been reverse engineered)
BIG TODO: audio. The audio chip (the Marvell) requires firmware and more init and does a TON of stuff including the crypto authentication to prove that it is an original Kinect and not a clone. Who knows what this thing does to the incoming audio. This should be interesting to look at.